May 11, 2007.
- Heath McBeth, one of the top hitters on the first WJCAC championship team in 1995, has taken a teaching/coaching position at a little school in Eastern Oklahoma, near Ft. Smith, AR.
May 10, 2007.
- Josh Birmingham, 2001 all-conference shortstop, graduated from Tulsa Law School May 5th. Birmingham will take the Texas Bar Exam in July and will begin work for the Ted Lyons Law Firm in Dallas, TX.
- Nick Sanders, 2006, All-American, signed a pro contract with the Iowa Canaries in Des Moines, IA.
- Joey Barreras, 1990-91 right-handed pitcher, will begin coaching and teaching in Gallup, NM. Barreras taught 2007 NMJC third baseman James Lilley junior high history in the Las Cruces Public Schools.
- Matt Speake signs with Texas A&M. The 6-1 210 lb. right hander is 19-3 in two years at NMJC. He has topped out at 94 mph with a slider at 84 mph. Speake was drafted after his 9-1 freshman year by the San Franciso Giants. Speake is 10-2 in 2007.
- The Kansas City Royals released Cody Harkcom, the winning pitcher in the 2005 national championship game. Harkcom is looking to get on with an independent team.
- Cory Zimmerman, 2005 first baseman and all-conference performer plus defensive player of the college world series, is finishing school at Texas Tech.
- Johnny Lujan, 2004 All-American pitcher that led country in strikeouts, has been traded to the White Sox by the Rangers. Lujan was a 12th round draft pick of the Rangers after his freshman year at NMJC.
April 22, 2007.
- Kevin Noles, outfielder 2002-03, is in pro ball with the Anderson Joes in the South Coast League. Kevin was an all-conference performer at NMJC and UT-Tyler.
April 12, 2007.
Former NMJC Thunderbird first baseman, Logan Parker, was called up to the Cincinnatti Reds team in late March and early April. Logan played here in 2004 and is an Odessa native. Chris French worked out with the AAA Washington National team in spring training and could see the big leagues by September. While with AAA, French worked out with former Hobbs catcher Brandon Harper and Hobbs resident Brandon Claussen. Chris will be in short season ball with the Nationals this year in Vermont. Former RHP and All-American Johnny Lujan is in AA with the Chicago White Sox and is tapped for the big leagues in August. Texas Ranger and former T-Bird Josh Giles is in High A ball and carries a 1.79 ERA. Brian Flores beat Stanford on Saturday and was the NCAA National Pitcher of the Week with Arizona State. He is 6-1 on the season. Mike Gosse hit a two-run homer against TCU to help OU win and a pinch-hit double to beat Baylor last week.
Chris Bennett and Matt Averitt (2004-06 RHP) are two of the three top pitchers in the Lone Star Conference at Northeastern Oklahoma University. They have thrown well for and won 11 of the team’s 20 victories. Averitt threw a four-hit shutout against Central Oklahoma on 4-7-07. Mike Gosse hit a two-run homer against TCU to help OU win and a pinch hit double to beat Baylor this week. Marc Noble and Brad Bohanan lead the Georgia-Florida Div. II league in hitting. Travis Wallace is at UT-Tyler and leads the team in homers. Ricky Ibarz is the number one pitcher at Troy State. Amadis Padilla (2004-06) is one of the top homerun hitters and batting average leaders at national NAIA powerhouse Embry-Riddle University in Florida. Amadis hit .371 last year with 20 extra-base hits. He was named to the Florida Conference all-conference team. Kory Johns is catching at Houston Baptist and will graduate on time. Renny Osuna is in Arizona with the Texas Rangers.
Mitch Goins is reaching his old velocity of 95 mph in an independent baseball league in Iowa. Isaac Rincon is red-shirting at New Mexico State after an arm injury.
Scott Mowles (1990), Albert Maes (2000-01) and Jeff Kramer (1999-2000) were on hand to see the T-Birds beat Midland College in Midland, TX. Mowles runs a car dealership in Longview, TX. Kramer and Maes are working in the oilfield in Midland.
Dusty Johnson (1995 WJCAC Champion) is running fitness & wellness facilities in Dallas, TX and doing very well.
Brad Weinmeyer (Member of the 2001 National Champion Record Holding Team Batting Avg. Squad) brought the British Columbia Pirate select team to Hobbs for a week. Brad is still buffed and doing a great job of coaching young men in his spare time.
The following former Thunderbirds have not been located yet: Riley Anderson, Caleb Anderson, Tony Perez, Randy Youtsey, Joey Lesard, Ryan Prince, Tony Garcia, Doug Patty, Angel Vega, Jones, Albrecht, Jaime Surratt, Tony Adams, Greg Cushman, Tom Gourdin, Ray Ortiz, Brit Gusmus, Gray, Alonzo Beltran, Adan Garcia, Luis Ducasse, Tom Pelton, Tony Perez, Jorge Perez, Ivan Sanabria, Fischer, Kevin Andries, Estaban James, Danny Moreno, Tim Campbell, David Thomas, Ryan Upshaw, Jacob Ornelas, Luis Cruz, Alexis Zapata, Ken Sims, Originales, Hill, Tony Alvarez, Frank Antunez, Jason Katz, Rialdy Cuadro, Miguel Salva, Travis Welch, Raul Torres, Radames Torres, Chris Barski, Nestor Gonzales, Clint Bailey, Steve Matthews, Scott Newitt, Craig Montgomery, Jason Lohman, Lonnie Juaquez, Marcus Glass, Chris Jackson, Jeremy Chavez, Jacob Emerling, Ed Madden, Derek Cuffy, Brian Albe, Brian Garcia, Ray Dennis, Jesse Saunders, Frank Dignon, Bobby Caro, Scott Lucas, Steve Feris, Trevor Rurak, Ken Johnson, Ruben Rodriguez, Trey Reese, Prasanth Tella, Gave Estrada, Felix Garcia, Ben Schenkman, Pilkinton, A.J. Atencio, Eric Horton, Nick Pattison, Brian Dice, Andrew Murray, August Lewis, Brandon Pyles, Ken Mattner, Mitch Arnold, Carlos Maldando, Gave Santiago, Bo Cogbill, Josh Ashton, Rickey Batten, Marcos Catillo, Damien Murrieta, Jesse Brownell, Steve Washington, Tabor Woolard, Jahsan Page, John Wilson, Jason Trim, Ryan McKeller, Kevin Smith, Pat McKeller, Justin Ard, Drew Jackson, Grant Alexander, Matt Croker, Josh Bowen, Adam Baranj, Vicen Fantauzzi, Rob Thornbrough, Mark Pederson, Ryan Mulle, Robbie Cours, Jeff Ethridge, Richard Lopez, Gilbert Garcia, Clay Folloder, Eli Elicerio, Chance Black, Mark Lujan, Mario Gallizzi. Jesse Rodriguez, Marcus Walton, Lee Ellis, Josh Talley, Cory Zimmerman, Curtis Thames, Cameron Young, Craig Cant, Billy Motto.
January 12, 2007.
- Will Davis, Infielder (1989-90), now lives in Pearland, TX where he works for Baylor College of Medicine. His wife Shana and he have two girls and a boy. Shana works for Baylor College as a researcher.
January 4, 2007.
- Three former NMJC standouts from 1999-2000 teams are Kerry Hodges, Brent Hodges, and Kalani Napolean. Kerry, who played for Texas Tech and was drafted in the 9th round by the Astros, will be a May graduate of law school in Virginia and will take his bar exam in Arizona soon after graduation. He and his wife will relocate to the Phoenix area immediately after graduation. Kerry’s brother Brent, also a draft pick in the 30th round by the Reds, is a P.E. teacher at an elementary school west of Phoenix. Brent and his wife are expecting their first child soon. Also on that team was center field standout Kalani Napolean, who continued on to University of Texas, and became NCAA national champion in 2003. Kalani is a real estate broker in Denver, CO and is doing very well.
December 6, 2006.
- Jose Flores (1992-93) will become the hitting coach for the Sand Diego Padres Eugene, Oregon team this next season. Flores, NMJC’s first all-American, has two boys 11 and 7.
- Trovin Valdez (centerfielder in 1994 and drafted by Baltimore out of NMJC) is a high school coach in West Palm Beach, FL. Trovin ran a 6.2 in the 60 yard dash, matched only by 2006 Thunderbird Chris French, who signed with the Nationals.
- Brian Runnels, outfielder in 1993-94, has opened an oilfield business in Carlsbad, NM with former Montreal Expos big leaguer Shane Andrews. Runnels went on to play at Abilene Christian University.
October 13, 2006.
- Wes Shook, all-conference 1st baseman in 1990, now lives in Snyder, TX. He and his wife Skeeter have two boys: Kelton, 6, and Cooper, 4. Wes works for Reef Chemical. Wes went to Texas Tech after NMJC and was all-Southwest Conference both years there and was drafted by Texas Rangers. One of Wes’ highlights in pro ball was a spring training homer off of Nolan Ryan.
- Former Thunderbirds Dusty Ridner (1991-92) and Cory Lavato (2002) are in the middle east fighting for us. Remember them in your prayers.
October 8, 2006.
- Dusty Ridner, SSgt deployed to Iraq in the US Army and former Thunderbird outfielder in 1990-91, stole 50 bases in 1991. Ridner was drafted later by the Cubs. He was married in June and he is stationed in Ft. Bragg, NC.
October 1, 2006.
- Richard Casares, RHP in 1990, is working as a caseworker for the District Attorney’s Office in El Paso, TX.
- Randy Yutsey, third baseman in 1990-91, is working for an airline at the El Paso Airport.
September 13, 2006.
- Former Thunderbird Cory Lovato is fighting for America in Iraq. Lovato, a member of the 2002 conference championship team, hit .325 with three homers. Keep our Thunderbird brother in your prayers.
- Former Thunderbird outfielders Brad Bohanan and Marc Noble finished the 2006 season at Armstrong Atlantic University as the top two hitters for the 40-18 Div. II powerhouse. Bohanan hit .393 and Noble hit .392 as every day players for the Georgia school. Both will begin their senior year at Armstrong in 2007 under legendary coach Joe Roberts.
- J.M. Devarie, shortstop on the 2004-05 team, hit .307 and fielded .950 as the everyday shortstop for UT-Kingsville. Devarie, who had planned on being the shortstop for the University of Texas Longhorns, attended Kingsville after eligibility problems forced him to Div. II. Devarie will be a senior at UT-Kingsville in 2007.
August 13, 2006.
- Kelly Berry, right-handed pitcher from Lawton, OK, has graduated from Oklahoma University with a degree in sociology and will be working toward a Ph.D.
July 19, 2006.
- Jay Dines, all-WJCAC and Dutch Klein Award winner in 1998, is assistant baseball coach at Valley High School in Albuquerque, NM and has plans to open a counseling service that will include sports psychology.
June 6, 2006.
- Shane Jones, 1990-91, rated one of the top arms in the United States during his time at NMJC is now a successful developer in Denver, CO.
- Logan Parker, all-Region 5 1st baseman for NMJC in 2004, was drafted in the 12th round by Cincinnati Reds in the 2006 MLB draft.
May 8, 2006.
- Ricky Baten is graduating with a degree in business from University of Texas at Arlington. Baten was all-conference catcher in 2002 on the conference championship team.
- Luis Dejesus, all-conference 2nd baseman, is a proud father of a baby girl and works in Hobbs, NM. He led the country in hitting in 2003 with a .510 batting average.
- Kevin Noles, 2002-03, graduates from University of Texas-Tyler where he was all-conference.
- Andy Atwell, 2004-05, was named all conference DH at Howard Payne. 2004-05
- Adam Fry, 2001-02, is engaged to Natalie Winders.
- Tabor Woolard, RHP 2002, graduated from Oklahoma Baptist.
- Jason Page, 2002, graduated from Bethune-Cookman University.
- Jeff Cramer, 2002-03, graduated from West Texas University.
- Josh Ashton, SS 2002, is coaching in Farmington, NM.
- Doug Brubaker, 2002, is in business in Seattle and now has two boys.
- Kevin Smith, 2003-04, graduates from San Angelo State.
- Grant Alexander, 2003-04, graduates from Washington State.
- Mario Gallizi, 2004, graduates from U.T.- Tyler where he makes all-conference.
- Bo Cogbill, 2002, graduates from TCU.
- Buzz Vargas, 2003, is pitching in the Detroit system.
- Ryan McKeller, 2003, is still pitching in high A in the Astros Club.
- Mitch Goins, 2003-04, is released by K.C. and goes to play baseball in the Independent leagues.
- Jesse Rodriguez, 2003, is pitching at West Texas A&M.
- Ricky Ibarz, 2004-05, was ranked third in NCAA in strikeouts for 2006 at Pan American.
- Logan Parker, 2004, is all-Conference at Cincinnati University.
- Armadis Padilla is doing well at Embry-Riddle.
- J.M. Devarie is at U.T.-Kingsville.
- Marcus Walton is at ENMU.
- Lee Ellis is playing in California.
March 27, 2006.
- Terry Clemmer, class of 1995-96, is living in Sweetwater, TX. Clemmer led the country in hitting in 1996 and was a pitcher on the first baseball batting title team of 1995. Clemmer has a little girl that can hit like he did.
- Jim Bob Cloud, class of 1997-98, all-WJCAC outfielder, is working in Odessa, TX for a drill bit company and has a baby girl.
February 12, 2006.
- Shawn Bates, 1994, who was drafted by the Orioles is managing a carpet store in Wichita Falls, TX.
November 22, 2005.
- Albert Maes, All-WJCAC centerfielder in 2003 on conference championship team, will be graduating in May from West Texas A&M with degree in Sociology. He was All-Conference at West Texas A&M also.
November 5, 2005.
- Dusty McDonald, Class of 1990, works with Erculiani at Play It Again Sports in Lubock, TX.
- Tony Perez, 1991-92, All-WJCAC OF, coaches near Waco, TX.
- H.J. Wright, 1990-93, RHP drafted by Astros, works in the oilfield in Farmington, NM.
- Sid Lopez, INF 1990, works as a hunting guide out of Seminole, TX.
- Clay Foster, OF 1990, is the Head Baseball Coach at Artesia High in Artesia, NM.
- Shawn Hardison, RHP 1990, is a policeman in Hobbs, NM
- Billy Motto, RHP 1990-91, is an accountant in Tulsa, OK.
- Joey Barraras, RHP 1990, is a coach in Gallup, NM.
- Mark Beeman, INF 1991-92, drafted by Atlanta Braves, is the Head Baseball Coach at Roswell High in Roswell, NM.
- Blain McAnnally, LHP-OF, is an insurance salesman in Dallas, TX.
- Scott Mowles, C 1991, is a car salesman in Midland, TX.
- Gabe Salazar, RHP 1992, is a salesman in Dallas, TX.
- Jorge Perez, OF All-WJCAC, is a Businessman in El Paso, TX.
- Chris Ballard, INF 1992-93, is a computer director in Carlsbad, NM.
- Casey Strasner, INF 1993, is an oilfield salesman in Hobbs, NM.
- Rick Ortiz, RHP All-WJCAC, signed with TCU, is in sales in Carlsbad, NM.
- Tom Pelton, C 1992-93, is in grocery business in Lubbock, TX.
- Chris Reardon, LHP 1996, is a college baseball coach in New York, NY.
- Eddie Misquez, LHP All-WJCAC and national strikeout leader 1996-97, is an adminstrator at a mine in Silver City, NM.
- Kevin Andries, RHP 93-94, TCU signee, is a businessman in the Ft. Worth, TX area.
- Dusty Johnston, RHP 1995, is a businessman in Amarillo, TX.
- Ryan Steadham, RHP 1998, is graduate student at North Carolina State University.
- Alex Puckett, OF 1996, is an exercise gym director in Phoenix, AZ.
- Nestor Gonzales, C 1998 All-American, is a welder in Dumas, TX.
- Jacob Emerling, C 1998, owns a fishing business in San Diego, CA.
- Treavor Rurak, All-WJCAC 1998-99 INF, is a coach at Vancouver University in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- Lee Martin, RHP 1999-2000, is an engineer at BJ Services in Midland, TX.
- Sean Kramer, RHP 2000, is a professional pitcher for an independent league in Iowa.
- Brad Weinmeyer, 3B 1999-2000, is a businessman in B.C., Canada.
- Brent Tarbett, OF drafted by Red Sox in 2000, is a fireman in Las Vegas, NV.
- Nick Trudell, INF 2000, is a pilot in the U.S. Air Force.
- Joe Blevins, RHP 2000-01, is a RHP at College Southwest, Hobbs, NM.
- Matt Bullen, RHP, 2000-01, is a minister in Grand Junction, CO.
- Payton Lyon, C 2001, owns are car dealership in Dallas, TX.
- Carlos Maldanado, C 2001, is a bartender in San Juan, P.R.
- Doug Brubaker, All-WJCAC RHP, signed by Orioles, is working for a building maintenance compnay in Seattle, WA.
- Kevin Noles, 2002-03, is a senior of at UT-Tyler in Tyler, TX.
- J.P. Garcia, RHP 2002, is a law student at Baylor University, Waco, TX.
- Lee Flores, RHP 2002, is a drummer in a rock band.
- Luis Dejesus, INF 2002-2003, wroks in sales at Home Depot. He had been drafted three times.
- Jeff Cramer, OF 2002-03, is a businessman in Amarillo, TX.
- Adam Fry, All-WJCAC RHP 2002-03, is a graduate student at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, TX.
- Ryan McKeller, RHP 2003, is in the minor leagues for Houston Astros.
- Mario Gallizi, DH 2003, is a senior at UT-Tyler in Tyler, TX.
October 28, 2005.
- Tim Campbell, .400 hitter from 1995 conference champs, is an EMT in Texarkana, TX.
- David Thomas, RHP drafted by Padres, Class of 1996, is a fireman in Brownwood, TX.
- Bryan Tambone, all WJCAC 1994 infielder, is a salesman for a major roofing supply company in Phoenix, AZ and a proud father.
October 20, 2005.
- Steve Hill, RHP, 1995, is coaching high school baseball at Memorial High in Houston, TX.
October 19, 2005.
- Brian Runnels, 1993-94, is a supervisor with an oilfield company in Carlsbad, NM.
- Jeff Schenck is a baseball coach at Tascosa H.S. Amarillo, TX.
October 7, 2005.
- Adam Riddle, All-American and the NJCAA National Batting Champion in 2001, is a ski instructor in Vale, CO.
- Cody Harkcom (2005) is pitching well in Class A with the K.C. Royals.
- Josh Giles (2005) is moving up fast with the Texas Rangers, may be in AA by 2006.
- Rene Osuna, JUCO World Series MVP 2005, will be playing in Dominican Republic with Texas Rangers.
- Fred Ortega, All-Region 5 in 1995, is a coach in Florida.
- Ryan Johnson, All-WJCAC, graduated from North Carolina State and is going to law school.
- Kyle Biery, 2005, is catching for Oklahoma University.
- J.M. Devarie, SS 2005, is playing for the University of Texas Horns.
- Mark Holly, 1999, is working at Midland Country Club in Midland, TX.
- Trevor Rurak, 2000, is a coach at Vancover University, Canada.
- Mike Mills, 1991, is a former coach and now a teacher at Hobbs Schools.
- Kevin Lallmann, 1991, is the Head Coach at Vernon College.
- Jose Gutierrez, 1995, is a building supervisor in New York City, NY.
- Drew Daniel, 1997, is a coach in China Springs, TX.
- Cody Paul, 2001, is a car salesman in Lubbock, TX.
- Brad Weinmeyer, 2001, is a coach in Surrey, Canada.
October 6, 2005.
- Radamus Torrez, All-American in 1998, is a financial advisor in Columbus, OH.
- Mike Vento, Class of 1997, is in the big leagues with the New York Yankees. He and his wife Chasity, former Thunderbird cheerleader, are expecting a baby in March. Mike appeared on national TV, prior to the playoff game with Anaheim, in a rookie’s dress. He looked good.
- Aaron Watson, Class of 1997, is an up and coming country western singer touring with Pat Green. Aaron’s CD is outstanding. Buy one.
- Jeremy Schwab, Class of 1997, is a regional director for Denver Golf and Turf, in Denver, CO.
- Heath McBeth, Class of 1995, is a tax assessor in Tallequah County, Oklahoma.
- David Lantigua, Class of 1995, is a director of a cable television company in Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Esteban James, Class of 1995, is a social worker in Columbus, OH.
- Danny Moreno, Class of 1995, is a banker in Columbus, OH.
- Ben Gallegos, Class of 1995, is a coach in San Antonio.
- Arturo Mata, Class of 1995, is a construction company owner in Gadsden, NM.
- Armando Almanza, Class of 1993, is a pitcher in the Diamondbacks Organization.
- Jose Flores, Class of 1993, is an infielder in the Dodgers Organization.
- Alex Pena, Class of 1992, is a coach in El Paso.
- Tyres Blackburn, Class of 1992, works for the largest car dealership in Texas in Mesquite, TX.
- Bill Rodriguez, Class of 1991, is a business executive in New York.
- Darin Erculiani, Class of 1991, owns a sporting good business, Play It Again Sports, in Lubbock, TX.
March 31, 2005.
- Mike Vento (OF) 1997 - The Associated Press reports the New York Yankees signed OF Mike Vento to a minor league deal Friday, Jan. 28.
- Mitch Goins (P) 2003/2004 - Royals. MLB.com's Alan Eskew reports the Kansas City Royals signed 26th-round draft pick P Mitch Goins (New Mexico Junior College). Mitch has recent sore arm problems, but was pitching in the 94 mph range before arm problems.
- Luiz Rodriquez 2004 - With 50 at bats with the Texas Rangers AA team, Luiz is batting .500.
- John Lujan (P) 2004 - The Texas Rangers has listed John as one of the top 10 prospects listed in their organization.
- Ryan McKellar (P) 2003 - While pitching for the Houston Astros, Ryan has pitched 98 mph and is the top pitching prospect in their organization.
- Brendan Donnelly (P) 1991/1992 - With a limited 2004 season, due to nose and elbow surgery, Brendan is healthy and is possibly going to be listed as a closer for the Anaheim Angels.
- Mitch Arnold (P) 2001 - As a closer for the Anaheim Angels Class A Team, Mitch has been striking out 2 batters per inning.
- Buzz Vargas (P) 2003 - During Spring Training for the Colorado Rockies, Buzz has an ERA of 3.45.
- John Wilson (P) 2002 - With the Class A Texas Rangers, John has lowered his ERA to 4.00.
- J.H. Marquardt (INF) 2003/2004 - Former Third Baseman T-Bird, J.H. is playing Division I Level ball and is batting over .300 at the University of Arkansas.
- Logan Parker (INF) 2003/2004 - Playing First Base at the University of Cincinnati, Logan has become the leading hitter.
- Kevin Smith (P) 2003/2004 - Kevin has become a closer for Angelo State.
- Tabor Woolard (P) 2002 - Tabor pitched a perfect game for Oklahoma Baptist on March 7, 2005 in under 90 minutes of play. Oklahoma Baptist beat Peru State by a score of 3-0.
- Vince Davis - Arizona Diamondbacks AA player Vince Davis paid a visit to the current T-Birds while they were playing at the Tucson Tournament.
- Bryan Kozlowski (P) 1995 - Former RHP First Team All American, Bryan was named West Coast Manager at Apple Computers®. Bryan was originally drafted by the Florida Marlins in 1997.
- Ryan Anholt (INF SS) 1996 - Ryan is a proud father and is currently working at a medical staff recruiting company in Dallas, TX.
- Jason Columbus - With the San Francisco Giants High A Team, Jason was batting .295 with 15 homeruns, and 75 RBI's.
- Josh Birmingham - Josh graduated from Nebraska after a World Series appearance and winning the Big 12 Championship. He is currently attending law school at Tulsa University.